Narrow down by keywords: Latin America and the Caribbean
- Drawing Development: Analysing local understandings of development in three Andean communities
This article shows how local understandings of development can be researched empirically by reference to experiences presented from three drawing workshops performed with children in the Ayacucho region in the Peruvian Andes. The children were asked to dr ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:09
- Here to Help: NGOs Combating Poverty in Latin America
Author: Eversole, Robyn (ed.) Publisher: Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe, 2003, ISBN: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:48
- A rural economic development plan to help the USA win its war on cocaine
Since the 1980s, the USA has fought cocaine in the Andes with carrots and sticks: interdiction and crop eradication wield the sticks, while Alternative Development (AD), which offers economic assistance to farmers who voluntarily abandon illicit cultiva ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2010-11-05 13:57
- How can small donors contribute to sustainable development in large regions? The case of NZAID in Latin America
Donors face many issues when trying to support development goals in large regions such as Latin America. In their attempts to channel assistance to appropriate end-users, they also have to provide coherence with national strategy, balance supply and deman ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:01
- Learning from innovation: implications of an integrated development project in Chiapas, Mexico
This is a case study of an integral local development project combining elements of agro-ecology, fair trade and risk-conservative finance operated in partnership between a grassroots and promoter organization. We conclude that insurance is a key elemen ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:53
- Soup kitchens, women and social policy: studies from Peru
In 1996 the Peruvian NGOs ALTERNATIVA, FOVIDA and INCAFAM spoke to many soup kitchen members, all women, to establish how they felt about the work and the future of the kitchens. The author reports on the connected activities sometimes run by these organi ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:59
- Empowering families as an alternative to foster care for street children in Brazil
Although the emphasis in current thinking about work with street children has changed from aid-dependency towards youth protagonism, many organisations ignore the role of the children’s families in their interventions. In so doing, they reproduce obsolete ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07
- Ethical predicaments for anthropologists: the Peruvian case
This article discusses the ethical challenges posed to anthropologists working as experts in mining companies and in tourism and alternative solutions that are coherent with the ethical principles of their discipline. ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-12-02 17:10
- Women and Social Movements in Latin America
Author: Stephen, Lynn Issue: Volume 9, Number ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-08 09:20
- Social Network Analysis to evaluate organisational networks on sexual health and rights
There are many challenges in evaluating international networks. The use of conventional tools can be difficult and often provides less than useful information. Social Network Analysis offers benefits for network evaluators by allowing for documentation ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-02-07 13:13