Narrow down by keywords: Abstract, East Asia
- Private sector development in a transition economy: the case of Vietnam
Since Vietnam introduced its Doi Moi reform policy in 1986, the development of the private sector has been a main policy concern for the government and the ruling Communist Party. The main development challenge for Vietnam is how to sustain economic growt ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:50
- Should they be committed? motivating volunteers in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Expatriate volunteers in Phnom Penh, Cambodia work in a country where many of their fellow expatriates are paid considerably more than they are. Such volunteers often find that the financial disparities affect the perceptions that people have of them. Thi ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- Social Network Analysis to evaluate organisational networks on sexual health and rights
There are many challenges in evaluating international networks. The use of conventional tools can be difficult and often provides less than useful information. Social Network Analysis offers benefits for network evaluators by allowing for documentation ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-02-07 13:13
- Commercial sex and the single girl: women's empowerment through economic development in Thailand
The author presents the views of Thailand's Population and Community Development Association (PDA - Thailand's largest NGO) about how to provide women attracted to the commercial sex industry (CSI) with economically viable alternatives to this accepted (i ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:58
- Gender in Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction Congress, Manila, 19–22 October 2008
The Gender in Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction Congress held in Manila 19–22 October 2008) was the Third Global Congress of Women in Politics and Governance. Its purpose was to provide a forum for decision makers to formulate gender-resp ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-29 10:28
- Establishing cooperatives for effective community development in rural China
The article presents the results of participatory monitoring and evaluation of projects which aimed to aid the establishment and development of 24 modern rural cooperatives in Shandan County, Gansu Province, China. The evaluation was designed to assess ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-11-27 12:50
- Myths and realities of the impact of political Islam on women: female employment in Indonesia and Iran
Since the 11 September 2001 attacks on targets in the USA, debates concerning the situation of women in the Muslim world have tended to focus on the extent to which they are victims of religious dogma. Like any other religion, Islam can be oppressive towa ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:00
- Community-managed rice banks: lessons from Laos
Rice banks are increasingly used in South-East Asia as a means of addressing seasonal food crises facing poor communities. Despite general agreement about the effectiveness of community-managed rice banks in improving food security, there has been almost ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:05
- The Multidimensional Poverty Assessment Tool: a new framework for measuring rural poverty
The Multidimensional Poverty Assessment Tool (MPAT) measures fundamental dimensions of rural poverty in order to support poverty-alleviation efforts in the less developed world. This article’s primary purpose is to introduce MPAT and describe its ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2010-11-07 21:01
- Health programs for the disadvantaged: a psychosocial approach to barriers in the community
The implementation of health programmes by external health professionals (`givers') in disadvantaged communities (`receivers') faces a variety of interactional barriers, some of which can be appreciated within the framework of the doctor-patient relations ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:53