Narrow down by keywords: Abstract, Labour and livelihoods
- Operationalising participatory research and gender analysis: new research and assessment approaches
Participatory research approaches are increasingly popular with scientists working for poverty alleviation, sustainable rural development, and social change. This introduction offers an overview of the special issue of Development in Practice journal on ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:00
- Corporate citizenship: creating social capacity in developing countries
A corporation has only limited ability to create social capital through philanthropic activity, and in the context of a decline in official aid, the corporate sector is increasingly assuming a de facto developmental role. The presence of social capital as ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:47
- Perceptions and practices of farmer empowerment in Tanzania
This article reviews experiences of implementing empowerment interventions in Tanzania. Data are based on field visits to programmes, projects, and organisations involved in implementing empowerment interventions in various regions in the country. These ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-28 18:34
- Beyond the World Food Summit
The author evaluates the progress made since the 1996 World Food Summit on the commitments adopted there. He identifies current areas of concern, and promises made at various meetings since the Summit, and argues that Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) ha ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:57
- The impact of food aid on cereal and livestock prices in Red Sea Province, Sudan: 1980-89
Drought-induced inflation of cereal prices and the consequent turning of the terms of trade against livestock upset existing exchange entitlements and contributed to higher than normal mortality rates among the rural Beja population in Red Sea Province in ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:04
- A solidarity-based economy
Economies based on solidarity and mutual support, and which are geared to human development and social justice, represent the basis of an alternative to the neo-liberal model that is driving the current globalisation process, and which tends to destroy lo ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- Challenging relations: a labour-NGO coalition to oppose the Canada-US and North American Free Trade Agreements (NAFTA), 1985-1993
In 1987-1988, a national debate erupted in Canada on the desirability of entering into a free trade agreement with the USA and its potential effect on Canadian culture, society, and national sovereignty - as well as its economy. A national coalition of la ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:11
- Food-price hikes and the situation of farm workers in the Philippines
Agricultural wage labourers in the Philippines were especially vulnerable to the food-price increases of 2007–08. Their wages do not cover the costs of food, clothing, and shelter, much less healthcare and their children's education. Food-price in ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-08-16 10:19
- Integrating participatory elements into conventional research projects: measuring the costs and benefits
Until recently, participatory and conventional approaches to agricultural research have been regarded as more or less antagonistic. This article presents evidence from three sub-projects of a Thai-Vietnamese-German collaborative research programme on 'Sus ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:00
- What difference can they make? Assessing the social impact of corporate codes of practice
As retailers in the North increasingly adopt codes of practice containing social and/or environmental provisions in global supply chains, there is a need for rigorous assessment of their social impact. Moving beyond the rhetoric, it is important to establ ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:49