Narrow down by keywords: Technology
- Identifying barriers to GIS-based land management in Guatemala
The development of a cadastral system for the Republic of Guatemala was one of the priorities of the 1997 Peace Accord that ended 30 years of civil war. While uncertainty of land ownership and land title are contentious issues, the development of a nati ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:52
- Technical versus popular language: some reflections on the vocabulary of urban management in Mexico and Brazil
Despite improvements in access to urban land and services since the 1980s, in both Brazil and Mexico, the consolidation of peripheral urban settlements has accentuated social segregation. Such trends highlight the continuing existence of poverty on a glob ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07
- Digital technology uses for sustainable management of natural resources in multicultural contexts
This article questions the notion that the use of digital technologies guarantees better policy development for the sustainable management of natural resources, particularly in multicultural contexts. It is argued that input of digital technologies coul ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-08-16 11:42
- Technological change among peasants in Central Argentina
Drawing on a case study from Central Argentina, this article suggests that researchers can be too cautious about introducing technologies of which farmers have no previous experience. In particular, it challenges the notion that the only technology approp ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:58
- Self-determination in practice: the critical making of indigenous media
The article examines the notion of development as self-determination in the context of current politicisation of indigenous peoples’ affairs. It looks at the links between development studies, indigenous social movements, and community media pract ...
Abstract - anna - 2009-10-01 16:58
- Impact assessment of farmer institutional development and agricultural change: Soroti district, Uganda
This article is based on participatory development research conducted in Soroti district of Uganda with the aim of assessing the impact of agricultural development among poor farmers. The central argument is that a combination of farmer empowerment and in ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-28 18:35
- Wiki and the Agora: ‘It’s organising Jim, but not as we know it’
This paper argues that those keen to characterise and harness the empowering potential of Information and Communications Technology [ICT] for development projects have to understand that the very existence of this technology opens up alternative models of ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:02
- Looking After Our Land: Soil and Water Conservation in Dryland Africa
Author: Critchley, Will Issue: Volume 3, Numb ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-05 19:01
- The Gene Traders: Security or profit in food production?
The author reports on a conference organised by Intermediate Technology and The New Economics Foundation held in London, England in April 1992. The conference was convened in response to concerns over the decrease in worldwide biodiversity, to examine the ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:53
- Institutional innovations for urban infrastructural development: the Indian scenario
As part of a human rights education campaign, the Bangladesh Rural Advancement Committee (BRAC) fixed 700,000 posters throughout Bangladesh. This met with opposition from religious organisations. This paper investigates the nature and cause of the backlas ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07