Narrow down by keywords: Technology
- Action research exploring information communication technologies (ICT) and child protection in Thailand
Traditional approaches to protecting children are insufficient to meet the complex issues they now face, and inter-sectoral, child-centred strategies are needed. Addressing this, the International Institute for Child Rights and Development (IICRD) devel ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-06-13 16:07
- Information for action: the Clearinghouse Project
The author, formerly Director of the Clearinghouse Project, describes the aims, achievements and underlying philosophy of the Project, which was set up in 1979 by the American Public Health Association (funded by USAID) to improve access to information fo ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:58
- Capitalism and the Information Age: The Political Economy of the Global Communication Revolution
Author: McChesney, Robert W., Ellen Meiksins Wood and John Bellamy Foster (eds.) ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-17 13:11
- Participatory research practice at the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT)
This study assessed the extent to which participatory methods had been used by CIMMYT, and how the scientists perceived them. Results suggest that participatory approaches at the Center were largely 'functional' - that is, aimed at improving the efficienc ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:00
- Promoting gender equality? An overview of some development-related uses of ICTs by women
Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) have created new economic and social opportunities the world over. Their use, however, continues to be governed by existing power relations where women frequently experience relative disadvantage. Amidst t ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:02
- Biotechnology and the Future of World Agriculture
Author: Hobbelink, Henk Issue: Volume 2, Numb ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-08 09:13
- Challenging conventional views on mobile telecommunications investment: evidence from conflict zones
Huge amounts are being invested in information and communication technologies (ICTs) such as mobile phones and their telecommunications infrastructure. Development agencies provide a conventional view on the ‘climate’ needed to encourage suc ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-28 18:34
- The state of the art in citizens’ communication for social change in Spain
In spite of its long history on different countries, ‘citizens communication for social change’ is little known in Spanish academic and social institutions, so few communication professionals know how to address and undertake in-depth planni ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-01 13:35
- Cost effectiveness of seed fairs relative to direct relief distribution in Zimbabwe
Seed fairs were being promoted in Zimbabwe as an alternative seed distribution approach to sustain local input markets. Using data from ICRISAT monitoring surveys of 2005–06 and records maintained by non-governmental organisations, this article re ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-08-16 10:16
- Information Technology and the management of corruption
The author examines the perception that information technology (IT) can be used to stamp out corruption in organisations. Using examples of corrupt practices, he argues that, invariably, development managers should consider the underlying organisational a ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:59