Narrow down by keywords: Civil society
- Beyond the barriers: new forms of labour internationalism
Concern about working conditions in a global supply chain has brought unions and NGOs in the North around the same table. Collaborative initiatives include campaigns such as the European-wide Clean Clothes Campaign (CCC) and ethical trade forums, like the ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:10
- Self-determination in practice: the critical making of indigenous media
The article examines the notion of development as self-determination in the context of current politicisation of indigenous peoples’ affairs. It looks at the links between development studies, indigenous social movements, and community media pract ...
Abstract - anna - 2009-10-01 16:58
- Inclusive Citizenship: Meanings and Expressions
Author: Kabeer, Naila (ed.) Publisher: New Delhi/London: Zubaan/Zed Books, 20 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:48
- Funding Virtue: Civil Society Aid and Democracy Promotion
Author: Ottaway, Marina; Carothers, Thomas (eds) Publisher: Washington, DC: Ca ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:51
- Empowerment through Enterprise: A Training Manual for Non-governmental Organisations
Author: Harper, Malcolm Issue: Volume 7, Numb ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-08 09:19
- Facilitators of development or Kapos for capital: the primrose path to GATS
This article arose from work undertaken on behalf of a UK-based NGO developing a policy response to the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS). It looks at GATS as a key to locating development NGOs (NGDOs) within the broader field of development ...
Abstract - sally - 2009-11-13 17:29
- Wanted! ‘Strong publics’ for uncertain times: the Active Citizenship in Central America project
This article places the experiences of the Active Citizenship in Central America project, led by Dublin City University, within wider discussions on the role of civil society in building democracy and furthering development. The article examines project ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2010-11-05 13:38
- Linking evidence with user voice for pro-poor policy: lessons from East Africa
Many agricultural research and development projects seek to achieve pro-poor outcomes through policy change. However, policy processes are complex, and a strategic approach to enhancing impact at policy level is often not applied. This article describes ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2010-11-09 12:37
- Advocacy communication for peacebuilding
Advocacy communication is now a key action term in development discourse. Advocates are usually issue- or programme-oriented and do not often think in terms of an ongoing process of social change in general, or peacebuilding in particular. The resolutio ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-03-30 16:10
- Evolution of input supply and service hubs in dairy development at Ada'a milk shed in Ethiopia
Efficient input supply and service delivery may call for a hub approach where all the necessary inputs and services are supplied in a coordinated manner, either by a single supplier or by several and separate entities in a given geographical location ac ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2013-04-30 12:09