Narrow down by keywords: Civil society
- Negotiating power: community media, democracy, and the public sphere
Given the centrality of communication to society, who ‘owns’ the media, who gets to speak on behalf of whom, and to what end are critical issues. The regression of ‘mainstream’ media from ‘watchdogs’ of democracies to ...
Abstract - anna - 2009-10-01 16:43
- Development, Divinity and Dharma: The Role of Religion in Development and Microfinance Institutions
Author: Harper, Malcolm, D.S.K Rao, and Ashis Kumar Sahu Publisher: Rugby: Pra ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-08 09:18
- Towards Financial Self-reliance: A Handbook on Resource Mobilisation for Civil Society Organisations in the South
Author: Holloway, Richard Publisher: London: Earthscan, 2001, ISBN: 1 85383 7 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:51
- Non-Governmental Organisations -- Performance and Accountability: Beyond the Magic Bullet
Author: Edwards, Michael and David Hulme (eds.) Issue: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-09 13:28
- Sex in Development: Science, Sexuality and Morality in Global Perspective
Author: Adams, Vincanne and Stacy Leigh Pigg (eds.) Publisher: Durham, NC: Duk ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:57
- The evolution of NGO-government relations in education: ActionAid 1972-2009
This short contribution provides a brief history, touching on some of the key trends and turning points in ActionAid's education work, and it documents the evolution of the relationship between ActionAid and governments. The story of ActionAid is illust ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2010-06-23 16:33
- NGOs and post-violence community development: holistic, multi-track ventures in Afghanistan
This article explores the interview narratives of six NGO directors working in Afghanistan regarding the holistic and multi-track nature of their NGO's project work. Data analysis revealed that NGO leaders believed that effective NGO project work relies ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-11-29 13:05
- Addressing dependency with faith and hope: the Eagles Relief and Development Programme of the Living Waters church in Malawi
The evolution and achievements of the Eagles Relief and Development Programme in Malawi are inspired and influenced by Christian values. The strength of Eagles comes from its integration of religious teaching and values with the way it works and from it ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-07-12 14:00
- Development NGOs, local learning, and social capital: the experience of CARE Bolivia in Villa Serrano
The evaluation of development NGOs has seldom considered their impact on social capital and local organisational learning. Deeply intertwined, both are key dimensions of the long-term impact of development interventions. Studies have highlighted the relat ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:00
- Capacity development for good governance in developing societies: lessons from the field
Good governance is essential for sustaining economic transformation in developing countries. However, many developing countries currently lack the capacity, as opposed to the will, to achieve and then sustain a climate of good governance. This article a ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:48