Narrow down by keywords: Civil society
- Participatory domestication of agroforestry trees: an example from the Peruvian Amazon
Valuable tree genetic resources are declining around many farming communities in the Peruvian Amazon, limiting farmers' options for economic development. The International Centre for Research in Agroforestry is working with farming communities to increase ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07
- Making the organisation learn: demystification and management action
The Learning Organisation (LO) is both a concept and a particular methodology within the larger domain of Organisational Development (OD). To fully appreciate the premises of LO, it is necessary to fall back on the main premises of OD, beginning with the ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:09
- Never the twain shall meet? Women's organisations and trade unions in the maquila industry in Central America
The garment and textile factories and assembly plants in the Central American free trade zones, known as the maquila industry, have given rise to new actors on the labour scene, as women's organisations and local monitoring groups now work alongside the t ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:10
- From mouthpiece to public service: donor support to radio broadcasters in new democracies
The radio can help to stimulate better governance. However, state-run broadcasting organisations in the South are usually ill-prepared for their public-service role in new democracies. They are often poorly funded compared to their new, commercial rival ...
Abstract - anna - 2009-10-01 16:52
- Urban Development and Civil Society: The Role of Communities in Sustainable Societies
Author: Carley, Michael; Jenkins, Paul; and Smith, Harry (eds.) Publisher: Lon ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:48
- Popular Education and Social Change in Latin America
Author: Kane, Liam Publisher: London: Latinmerican Bureau, 2001, ISBN: 1 8993 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:51
- Private but Public: The Third Sector in Latin America
Author: Fernandes, Rubem Cesar Issue: Volume ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:43
- Changing families and communities: an LGBT contribution to an alternative development path
Until now, most discussions on the place of LGBT (lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender) people in global civil society have focused on their access to citizenship, rather than their socioeconomic rights and role in development processes. This article argu ...
Abstract - sally - 2009-11-13 17:01
- An international NGO representative in Colombia: reflections from practice
Certain contexts render particularly challenging the disjunctures and discontinuities between international NGO (INGO) headquarters and in-country operations, as this Christian Aid case demonstrates. Torn loyalties result when seeking to discern how bes ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2010-11-05 13:34
- Practical lessons from four projects on disability-inclusive development programming
This article considers early lessons learned from the inclusion of disabled people, based on socially inclusive principles, in World Vision programming work in Angola, Armenia, Cambodia, and Senegal. Externally led reviews and evaluations conducted betw ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2010-11-07 20:35