Narrow down by keywords: Rights, East Asia
- Why is development work so straight? Heteronormativity in the international development industry
International development work has both reinforced and challenged inequalities related to sexuality and gender. The concept of heteronormativity is a promising frame for understanding these dynamics. This article starts with a description of the history ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-06-06 16:45
- Action research exploring information communication technologies (ICT) and child protection in Thailand
Traditional approaches to protecting children are insufficient to meet the complex issues they now face, and inter-sectoral, child-centred strategies are needed. Addressing this, the International Institute for Child Rights and Development (IICRD) devel ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-06-13 16:07
- Agrarian reform: a continuing imperative or an anachronism?
Agrarian reform or land reform has virtually disappeared from the international development agenda since the 1980s. However, many people's organisations (POs) and NGOs in Third World countries are attempting to restore it as a development priority and pol ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:56
- Donor leverage: towards more equitable access to essential medicines?
In early 2007, the Indonesian government decided to withhold its samples of the avian influenza (‘bird flu’) virus from WHO’s collaborating centres, pending a new global mechanism for virus sharing which would provide better terms for developing countries ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07
- Sweating it out: NGO campaigns and trade union empowerment
In the context of globalisation, transnational social regulation is increasingly the product of NGOs intervening in the sphere of global trade. Drawing on empirical research in SE Asia, the author contends that what matters as much as codes of conduct are ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:11
- Collective Action and Urban Poverty Alleviation: Community Organizations and the Struggle for Shelter in Manila
Author: Shatkin, Gavin Publisher: Aldershot: Ashgate, 2007, ISBN: 978-0-7546-4 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:51
- Denial and Distress: Gender, Poverty and Human Rights in Asia
Author: Murthy, Ranjani K and Lakshmi Sankaran Publisher: London: Zed Books, 2 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:49
- Let the Good Times Roll: Prostitution and the US Military in Asia
Author: Pollock Sturdevant, Sandra and Brenda Stolfuz Issue: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:44
- The Philippines: Debt and Poverty
Author: Pineda-Ofreneo, Rosalinda Issue: Vol ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:41