Narrow down by keywords: Aid, Arab States
- The acceptability of immunisation in Somalia: What role does the community play in designing programme strategies?
As part of the global drive to achieve Universal Child Immunisation by l990 (UCI9O), Somalia launched a national immunisation programme for women and children. While access to it improved, actual demand for immunisation remained low. This paper reports th ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:53
- NGOs and the dynamics of the Egyptian labour market
This article discusses the role NGOs play, not in their traditional role as service providers, but as employers in the Egyptian labour market. Over the last two decades, NGOs have been offering attractive job opportunities to middle-class professionals wh ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:03
- NGOs: between buzzwords and social movements
The associations that the term 'NGO' has acquired in development discourse need to be critically analysed in relation to practice on the ground. Drawing on an analysis of the rise of NGOs in Palestine, the author suggests that the development of the NGO m ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:06
- Pariah States and Sanctions in the Middle East: Iraq, Libya, Sudan
Author: Niblock, Tim Publisher: Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner, 2001, ISBN: 1 5558 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:50
- Mechanisms and instruments of sustainable development
The present study aimed to aid government sector managers in Iran in their understanding of sustainable development mechanisms. Research was undertaken with 338 managers selected randomly from seven government ministries. The findings revealed that the ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-05-15 10:14
- The spatialisation of child protection: notes from the occupied Palestinian territory
This paper considers the employment of spatialised practice within child protection efforts as pursued by humanitarian agencies. Starting from a brief overview of the genealogy of enclosure and separation within both humanitarianism and in relation to c ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-06-13 15:58
- Listening to Iraqi refugee children in Jordan, but then what? Exploring the impact of participatory research with children
Following the American-led invasion of Iraq, thousands of Iraqis fled to Jordan and the international donor community initiated humanitarian assistance. Through a unique partnership, three organisations conducted participatory research with Iraqi childr ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-06-13 16:07