Narrow down by keywords: Aid
- On the agenda: North-South research partnerships and agenda-setting processes
Co-operation between researchers in the global North and South is critical to the production of new knowledge to inform development policies. However, the agenda-setting process is a formidable obstacle in many development research partnerships. The first ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:42
- Peace building: a literature review
A critical review of five contrasting publications on peace building, including the 2004 UN report A More Secure World. Author: Cutter, Ana ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:52
- Contracting out agricultural public services: the NGO sector as an alternative delivery system
In many less developed countries (LDCs) that are undergoing economic adjustment the promotion of the agricultural sector is constrained by resource limitations that include finance, and human and institutional capacity. The inability of the state to provi ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:54
- Financial sustainability in saving and credit programmes
The paper defines financial sustainability; why financial sustainability is a valid objective; how it can be measured; and what can be done to improve levels of financial sustainability. The discussion is situated within the context of NGOs managed credit ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:56
- Sustainable peace-building in the South: experiences from Latin America (Paper from Symposium)
While some recent conflicts have attracted international attention, other long-term conflicts with high accumulative death tolls have been relatively ignored. A decontextualised and partial view of conflict and violence is further encouraged by the separa ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:58
- Exploring changes in the lives of the ultra-poor: an exploratory study
This Research Roundup reports on the pilot phase of BRAC’s ‘Challenging the Frontiers of Poverty Reduction/Targeting the Ultra Poor Programme’ (CFPR/TUP), which was initiated in three of the poorest districts of northern Bangladesh (Nilphamari, Rangpur, a ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:02
- Development-induced forced migration: a practical example
Based on primary research, this paper describes the negative human, occupational, and environmental impacts of the Kiraz Dere dam project in Turkey, concluding that financial compensation for people who are displaced by such projects is unlikely in itself ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:05
- People's development with people's money: the mobilisation - organisation - finance nexus
There is a widely recognised need for innovative institutional arrangements to provide financial services to poor people, and numerous efforts have been made to that end. These have ranged from modifying the services provided by existing banks to the prom ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- Critical review of the capacity building literature and discourse
The research summarised here addresses the ambiguities and discrepancies of the capacity building dialect within the aid and development industry. Three interrelated themes are found to permeate the capacity building literature, despite diverse ideologica ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:09
- Development and Faith: Where Mind and Soul Work Together
Author: Marshall, Katherine and Marisa Van Saanen Publisher: Washington, DC: T ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-10 09:16