Narrow down by keywords: Governance and public policy, South Asia
- Agricultural growth and 'trickle-down' reconsidered: evidence from rural India
This paper analyses the legacy of the `green revolution' in rural India, going beyond the economic to take into account the comprehensive impact of State-guided development strategies on the lives of ordinary people. Based on information collected during ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:57
- The dynamics of contemporary local-government policies and economic development in West Papua
There have been enormous political, economic, and social changes in West Papua. Every governor of West Papua has designed programmes to boost economic development and reduce poverty. The influx of migrant workers under the ‘transmigration programm ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-06-27 12:59
- Mainstreaming gender in the police: the Maharashtra experience
This paper offers an insight into the creative ways in which a major social institution in one of the most progressive States in India has attempted to take gender issues on board. The Maharashtra Police Force has taken a major step towards empowering wom ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:59
- Combating the menace of food insecurity: the experience of West Bengal
The Indian government is implementing a package of food-based safety-net programmes to resist disastrous food insecurity. Crucial programmes are (1) the Targeted Public Distribution Scheme, (2) the wage-employment programme (direct cash transfer as wage ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-08-16 09:57
- Democratic decentralisation and poverty reduction in Madhya Pradesh: searching for an institutional equilibrium
This paper reviews the lessons of democratic decentralisation in Madhya Pradesh (MP), a poor and semi-feudal Indian state that emerged as a leader and bold experimenter in institutional design in the 1990s. Despite inauspicious beginnings, political leade ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:43
- An innovative community-based waste disposal scheme in Hyderabad
The author highlights a community participation scheme in Hyderabad, India, which allowed informal sector workers, organised by the Municipality, to take steps towards a more cost-effective and ecocentric method of waste management. This article also appe ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:59
- Addressing challenges of social assistance schemes: rights-based approach in Orissa, India
The present article documents the programme strategy that has been used to address the challenges of social assistance schemes in Orissa, India. Key aspects of the strategy are: community mobilisation; use of mobile technology, web and media for communi ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-05-14 17:02
- Performance-based Partnership Agreements for the reconstruction of the health system in Afghanistan
Full-text sample article FREE from Taylor & Francis. The reconstruction of the health system in Afghanistan is in its early stages, and donors have proposed Performance-based Partnership Agreements (PPA) through which to subcontract the delivery of he ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:44
- Gender justice: the World Bank’s new approach to the poor?
Gender inequality is now widely acknowledged as an important factor in the spread and entrenchment of poverty. This article examines the World Development Report 2000/01 as the World Bank’s blueprint for addressing poverty in the twenty-first century alon ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:03
- Decommissioning dams in India: a comparative assessment of Mullaperiyar and other cases
With the ruefully anticipated breakdown of the Mullaperiyar dam in Kerala as the central issue, this article debates the decommissioning of large dams in India. Drawing on other examples of dam breakdown and decommissioning cases from India and the USA, ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2013-04-30 12:12