Narrow down by keywords: Governance and public policy
- A new wave of decentralisation in Latin America? A Conversation with Rosemary Thorp
In this interview, Rosemary Thorp, an expert on the political economy of Latin America and currently Oxfam GB Chair of Trustees, discusses the impact that decentralisation reforms have had in promoting development and deepening democratic governance in th ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:43
- Annotated resources on peace building and post-war reconstruction
This annotated list highlights some 70 recent publications and organisations that focus primarily on what happens after rather than before or during armed conflict. Issues covered include the political, economic, and social aspects of post-war reconstruct ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:52
- Emergency Social Funds: the experience of Bolivia and Peru
The World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) believe that the increase in poverty as a result of Structural Adjustment Programmes (SAPs) is a short-term consequence and that the benefits of SAPs filter down, in the longer term, to the least privil ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:55
- Dismantling former Yugoslavia, recolonising Bosnia
Recent conflicts in the Balkans have been portrayed largely in terms of ethnic and religious divisions, with Western military and diplomatic intervention seen as essential to securing a positive outcome. However, these divisions are the consequence of a d ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:58
- The World Bank, neo-liberalism, and power: discourse analysis and implications for campaigners
This article examines why the World Bank adopted neo-liberal economic policies. It argues that neo-liberal discourse favoured the interests of key Northern actors, and, more surprisingly, that it also allowed many Southern state actors to maintain or exte ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:03
- The ‘Knowledge Exchange Train’: a model for capacity building for participatory governance in the south-western Amazon
National frontiers with ecosystems experiencing rapid changes pose difficult challenges for scientific contributions to democratic processes for environmental governance. We describe an innovative outreach model, the ‘knowledge exchange train’, which comb ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07
- Women and wars: some trajectories towards a feminist peace
This paper seeks to explode a number of myths about women's absence from wars and conflict; it considers some problems about their vulnerabilities in these circumstances; and offers some feminist perspectives for addressing these problems. The paper consi ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:10
- Collective Action and Urban Poverty Alleviation: Community Organizations and the Struggle for Shelter in Manila
Author: Shatkin, Gavin Publisher: Aldershot: Ashgate, 2007, ISBN: 978-0-7546-4 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:51
- Structural Adjustment - The SAPRI Report: The Policy Roots of Economic Crisis, Poverty and Inequality
Author: The Structural Adjustment Participatory Review International Network (SAPRIN) Publisher: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:48
- The European Union and the Third World
Author: Holland, Martin Publisher: New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2002, ISB ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:49