Narrow down by keywords: Governance and public policy
- What can aid do for social development?
An aid programme's potential contribution to social development is increased if those designing and administering it are informed about the social context in which aid is provided. A key factor in the British government's aid programme is the Overseas Dev ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:55
- Transition in El Salvador: a multi-layered process (Paper from Symposium)
This paper reflects on the obstacles facing Salvadorean NGOs in the transition from war to peace. Firstly, on the difficulties inherent in the peace process itself: insufficient structural change; the trap of electoral politics; a transition process that ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:58
- Gender justice: the World Bank’s new approach to the poor?
Gender inequality is now widely acknowledged as an important factor in the spread and entrenchment of poverty. This article examines the World Development Report 2000/01 as the World Bank’s blueprint for addressing poverty in the twenty-first century alon ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:03
- Violence in development: the logic of forced displacement on Colombia’s Pacific coast
A progressive piece of legislation in 1993 granted collective land rights to Colombia’s black communities living in the rural areas of the Pacific coast region. This measure aimed partly to support sustainable development strategies in the region through ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07
- Paradoxes of institutionalisation: the depoliticisation of Bangladeshi NGOs
Through an analysis of how Bangladeshi NGOs have become institutionalised, the author examines patterns of bureaucratisation and professionalisation to argue that NGOs are part of a process of incorporation that mediates opposition to gender and other str ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:09
- Women and Gender Equity in Development Theory and Practice: Institutions, Resources, and Mobilization
Author: Jaquette, Jane S. and Gale Summerfield (eds.) Publisher: Durham, NC an ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-10 08:55
- Key Issues in Development
Author: Kingsbury, Damien, Joe Remenyi, John McKay and Janet Hunt Publisher: L ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:48
- African Economies and the Politics of Permanent Crisis, 1970-99
Author: van de Walle, Nicolas Publisher: Cambridge: CUP, 2001 ISBN: 0 521 008 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:49
- The Legality of Land Reform in Zimbabwe: An Inquiry into the Land Acquisition Act (1992) combined with A Case Study Analysis of the Resettlement Programme
Author: Maposa, Isaac Issue: Volume 6, Numbe ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-10 08:48
- Diary of a participatory advocacy film project: transforming communication initiatives into living campaigns
In August 2007, the Government of Tanzania committed to doubling the number of training places for skilled midwives following a five-year campaign by the White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood in Tanzania (WRATZ), which culminated in the first televi ...
Abstract - sally - 2009-10-20 16:03