Narrow down by keywords: Governance and public policy
- Developing countries in the WTO: support or resist the `millennium' round?
A fundamental question to be decided at the November/December 1999 World Trade Organisation (WTO) ministerial meeting is whether to support or resist a new round of trade negotiations. The author argues that while many developing countries, and developmen ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:02
- The discordant voices of 'security'
This article examines the links between development and ‘security’, situating these concepts within their philosophical and political contexts, particularly in relation to contemporary wars, including the ‘war on terror’, and the so-called ‘securitisation ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:06
- A chocolate-coated case for alternative international business models
Large companies have accelerated their control of the basic commodities markets in the last decade. The author describes what this means for smallholder farmers in the developing world who depend on these markets for some cash income each year. The conseq ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- Negotiating power: community media, democracy, and the public sphere
Given the centrality of communication to society, who ‘owns’ the media, who gets to speak on behalf of whom, and to what end are critical issues. The regression of ‘mainstream’ media from ‘watchdogs’ of democracies to ...
Abstract - anna - 2009-10-01 16:43
- Urban Development and Civil Society: The Role of Communities in Sustainable Societies
Author: Carley, Michael; Jenkins, Paul; and Smith, Harry (eds.) Publisher: Lon ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:48
- The Spaces of Neoliberalism: Land, Place and Family in Latin America
Author: Chase, Jacquelyn (ed.) Publisher: Bloomfield, CT: Kumarian Press, 2002 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:49
- Society, State and Market: A Guide to Competing Theories of Development
Author: Martinussen, John Issue: Volume 8, Nu ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-10 09:02
- Stealing the Future: Corruption in the Classroom. Ten Real World Experiences
Author: Meier, Bettina and Griffin, Michael (eds.) Publisher: Berlin: Transp ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:57
- Which instruments best tackle food price instability in developing countries?
The food crisis of 2007–08 and the urban riots that ensued in some 40 developing countries placed the question of food price instability at the heart of policy debates. Since the 1980s, the prevailing idea has been that the best solution is managi ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-08-15 16:18
- Decommissioning dams in India: a comparative assessment of Mullaperiyar and other cases
With the ruefully anticipated breakdown of the Mullaperiyar dam in Kerala as the central issue, this article debates the decommissioning of large dams in India. Drawing on other examples of dam breakdown and decommissioning cases from India and the USA, ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2013-04-30 12:12