Narrow down by keywords: Social sector
- Citizens’ publications that empower: social change for the homeless
This paper surveys street publications that are members of the International Network of Street Papers. Street publications can empower the homeless though numerous endeavours that can lead to social change. Empowerment can be achieved by being employed, ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-01 13:44
- African Primary Health Care in Times of Economic turbulence
Author: Chabot, J. et al. Issue: Volume 6, Nu ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-07 18:17
- Where there’s no green man: child road-safety education in Ethiopia
Traffic crashes kill 1.2 million people annually, and the number is growing fast, particularly in developing countries. Although child road-safety education is widely considered important, few programmes have resulted in demonstrated improvements in saf ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2010-11-05 14:10
- Have financial difficulties compromised Christian health services' commitment to the poor?
Christian health services (CHSs) provide a substantial proportion of health services in many developing countries. This paper outlines the results of research which assessed whether the financial pressures resulting from a decline in their traditional f ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-07-12 13:54
- Privatisation of urban water and sewerage services in Turkey: some trends
This article looks at the experience of privatised urban water supply and sewerage services in Turkey, focusing on the case of three cities that have opted for such privatisation. The article opens with an examination of the management of urban water an ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:53
- Women in the informal sector: the contribution of education and training
This article reviews the extent to which the educational system has acknowledged the importance to women of the informal sector of the economy, and the extent to which it has sought to prepare them for employment or self-employment within it. It assesses ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:56
- The role of Ministries of Finance in implementing the ‘Three Ones’
Ministries of Finance (MoF) cannot ignore the major challenge to development posed by HIV/AIDS. To tackle the epidemic a new comprehensive and consistent approach is required: HIV/AIDS must be mainstreamed. This paper investigates the instruments MoF do, ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:02
- A situational assessment study of acid violence in Bangladesh
This secondary source study was conducted on behalf of UNICEF in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, to establish what information was available about acid violence with a view to informing potential interventions to prevent attacks. The study showed that y ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- Moving Mountains: The Race to Treat Global AIDS
Author: D'Adesky, Anne-Christine Publisher: London and New York, NY: Vers ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:48
- The Psychological Well-Being of Refugee Children: Research, Practice, and Policy Issues
Author: McCallin, Margaret Issue: Volume 4, N ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-08 08:55