Narrow down by keywords: Social sector
- Why does Community-Based Rehabilitation fail physically disabled women in northern Thailand?
Community-Based Rehabilitation (CBR) has been adopted in many countries to help disabled people. This article analyses the interplay between CBR and the self-alienation of physically disabled women from their communities. In-depth interviews with 40 wom ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:47
- Community-based rehabilitation and development: disabled children in Guyana
This article examines the challenge facing the rehabilitation of disabled persons, particularly children, as we approach the end of the twentieth century. The potential of a community-based model of rehabilitation is considered in the light of experience ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:54
- Tensions in the psychosocial discourse: implications for the planning of interventions with war-affected populations
Fundamental conceptual tensions underlie current debates regarding the implementation of psychosocial interventions with war-affected populations. Three particular tensions structuring current discourse concern the generalisability versus uniqueness of re ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:58
- Financing primary health care: an NGO perspective
How is primary health care (PHC) to be funded in a climate of economic recession? The authors survey the financial implications of the Alma Ata Declaration of 1978 and the Bamako Initiative of 1987. They draw on a survey of over 100 Oxfam-funded health pr ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:04
- Achieving behaviour change: Three generations of HIV/AIDS programming and jargon in Thailand
NGOs have played an important role worldwide in trying to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS through achieving behaviour change. NGOs have often been at the fore of innovative changes, influencing government and international programming activities. This pape ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:09
- World Disasters Report 2000: Focus on Public Health
Author: Walker, Peter and Walter, Jonathan (Eds.) Publisher: Geneva: Internati ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:52
- Sex in Development: Science, Sexuality and Morality in Global Perspective
Author: Adams, Vincanne and Stacy Leigh Pigg (eds.) Publisher: Durham, NC: Duk ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:57
- Educating the (neo-liberal) citizen: reflections from India
Citizenship has gained considerable popular currency in development and is increasingly being used to represent its objectives and outcomes. The popular conceptualisations of citizenship have not remained unaffected by neo-liberalism, which has establis ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-05-15 10:13
- Understanding quality in services supporting women survivors of gender-based violence
On the basis of participatory research with service providers, service users, and external actors in Guatemala, Mozambique, and Nicaragua, we have developed a novel framework to describe and assess the quality of services for women and girls who have ex ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2013-11-29 12:47
- Attacking social exclusion: combining rehabilitative and preventive approaches to leprosy in Bangladesh
Based on primary research on the applicability of social exclusion frameworks to the experiences of people with leprosy in Bangladesh, this article compares two means of intervention: health education of society, and socio-economic rehabilitation of indiv ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:52