Narrow down by keywords: Latin America and the Caribbean
- Building synergies in development research: is it time for the Mosaic Approach?
Development research has responded to a number of charges over the past few decades. For example, when traditional research was accused of being 'top-down', the response was participatory research, linking the 'receptors' to the generators of research. As ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:42
- Living or surviving: reflections on Central America
As the wars in Central America have subsided, the region is undergoing extensive and far-reaching changes in its economies, and in the role of the State, in particular in the growth of the maquila (assembly plant) industry, and the reduction of the public ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:55
- Free Trade and Uneven Development: The North American Apparel Industry after NAFTA
Reviewed by Luz María de la Mora, Trade Representative of the Mexican Ministry of Economy at the EU, Brussels Author: Bair, Jennifer ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:02
- Participatory design of agroforestry systems: developing farmer participatory research methods in Mexico
Participatory research that combines the knowledge of farmers and researchers promotes the development of a variety of agroforestry options that may meet the various needs of different farmers, and thus exploits one of the greatest strengths of agroforest ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07
- Indigenous Peple, Poverty and Human Development in Latin America
Author: Hall, Gillette and Harry Anthony Patrinos (eds.) Publisher: Basingstok ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-10 09:21
- Trees, People, and Power: Social Dimensions of Deforestation and Forest Protection in Central America
Author: Utting, Peter Issue: Volume 4, Number ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:34
- Are healthier people happier? Evidence from Chile and Uruguay
Based on data from the Latinobarómetro, this study analyses data on happiness to establish the probability that an individual is happy. The focus is put on self-reported health status as a key aspect in increasing levels of happiness. The probabi ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2013-04-30 12:05
- Does fair trade make a difference? The case of small coffee producers in Nicaragua
Fair trade represents an innovative approach to make the rules of global trade work for disadvantaged producers in the South and for sustainable development. But who are the real beneficiaries of fair trade? Has fair trade resulted in any discernible impr ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:50
- Reconstruction in El Salvador: the social relations of community self-build
When the civil war in El Salvador ended in 1992, the Spanish government put forward money for a resettlement project (the ASPA project) which was designed and implemented by a Northern NGO for which the author worked as a construction adviser. The project ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:57
- Reflections on relationships: the nature of partnership according to five NGOs in southern Mexico
This article is based on interviews with several staff members of NGOs located in San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico, regarding partnerships between them and their funding sources, such as foundations or agencies of the North that do or support ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:05