Narrow down by keywords: Globalisation
- Transnational Civil Society: An Introduction
Author: Batliwala, Srilatha and L. David Brown (eds.) Publisher: Bloomfield, C ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:51
- Corporate responsibility and the movement of business
The corporate social responsibility (CSR) agenda has taken off since the 1980s, with both civil society and business actors involved in mobilising around it. This paper examines the reasons for civil society mobilisation on CSR issues, the types of organi ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:50
- Knowledge and learning in online networks in development: a social capital perspective
The paper examines whether the concept of social capital can facilitate our understanding of online networks in development. Much of the knowledge generation and social learning in development takes place in networks, which are increasingly online. Althou ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:02
- Globalization and the Third World: A Study of Negative Consequences
Author: Ghosh, B.N. and Halil M. Guven (eds.) Publisher: Basingstoke: Palgrave ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-05 18:38
- The Power to Choose: Bangladeshi Women and Labour Market Decisions in London and Dhaka
Author: Kabeer, Naila Publisher: London: Verso, 2002, ISBN: 1 85984 206 2, 320 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:49
- Which instruments best tackle food price instability in developing countries?
The food crisis of 2007–08 and the urban riots that ensued in some 40 developing countries placed the question of food price instability at the heart of policy debates. Since the 1980s, the prevailing idea has been that the best solution is managi ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-08-15 16:18
- The Global Workplace - challenging the race to the bottom
Founded in 1951, War on Want is a UK-based NGO committed to the alleviation of poverty with strong roots in the labour movement. War on Want's programme on The Global Workplace provides trade unionists with a range of practical skills and knowledge about ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:01
- Women workers in the garment industry in Dhaka, Bangladesh
The authors discuss the feelings, status, and working conditions of women in factories making garments for export. Many legal requirements under the 1965 Factory Act (child care facilities, maternity leave, length of working hours, holiday entitlement) ar ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:56
- Diasporas as 'agents of development': transforming brain drain into brain gain? The Dutch example
This article is based on research that explored and analysed the potential role of diasporas in development aid in the Netherlands. The research adopted the hypothesis that development agencies could benefit from the knowledge, skills, and views of diaspo ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:05
- The State of Resistance: Popular Struggles in the Global South
Author: Polet, Francois (ed.) Publisher: New York/London: Zed Books, 2007, ISB ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-10 09:32