Narrow down by keywords: Globalisation
- Corporate social responsibility: a challenge for the donor community
As corporate social responsibility (CSR) increases in large corporate organisations, a genuine approach to sustainable development is often best achieved through the supply chain. This is directly applicable to North-South supply chain interactions (priva ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:47
- Equity in health and economic globalisation
In this personal Viewpoint, the author argues that globalisation has led to increased inequity in health and healthcare provision, just as it aggravates social inequity in general. He highlights the growing sacrifice of equity to efficiency, and the compl ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:01
- Juxtaposing handloom weaving and modernity: building theory through praxis
This article investigates the interaction between the processes of building development theory and development practice, arguing that theory must start with practice – and should not be top–down, starting with the ‘outside gaze’ of a supposedly detached a ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- The Global Legitimacy Game: Civil Society, Globalization and Protest
Author: Van Rooy, Alison Publisher: London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2004, ISBN 1 4 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:48
- Multinational Corporations and Global Poverty Reduction
Author: Jain, Subhash C. and Sushil Vachani Publisher: Cheltenham, UK & No ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:54
- In whose name? The accountability of corporate social responsibility
Stakeholder dialogue, participation, and partnership have become mainstream concepts in international development policy, in particular in the field of corporate social responsibility (CSR). However, the accountability of multi-stakeholder initiatives on ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:50
- Wiki and the Agora: ‘It’s organising Jim, but not as we know it’
This paper argues that those keen to characterise and harness the empowering potential of Information and Communications Technology [ICT] for development projects have to understand that the very existence of this technology opens up alternative models of ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:02
- Self-determination in practice: the critical making of indigenous media
The article examines the notion of development as self-determination in the context of current politicisation of indigenous peoples’ affairs. It looks at the links between development studies, indigenous social movements, and community media pract ...
Abstract - anna - 2009-10-01 16:58
- The Spaces of Neoliberalism: Land, Place and Family in Latin America
Author: Chase, Jacquelyn (ed.) Publisher: Bloomfield, CT: Kumarian Press, 2002 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:49
- The long-term implications of the 2007–08 commodity-price boom
The recent commodity-price boom was one of the longest and broadest of the post-World War II period, and, not unexpectedly, it reignited discussions about resource scarcity as well as proposals to ‘manage’ reminiscent of the 1970s. This cont ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-08-15 16:12