Narrow down by keywords: East Asia
- Why a managerialist pursuit of MDGs will not necessarily lead to achievement of MDGs
With case studies on Millennium Development Goal (MDG)-oriented reform projects in Vietnam, this article focuses upon a persistent dilemma in attempting to turn worthy goals into implementable programmes and sustainable results. How to achieve these goa ...
Abstract - sally - 2009-11-13 17:23
- Health programs for the disadvantaged: a psychosocial approach to barriers in the community
The implementation of health programmes by external health professionals (`givers') in disadvantaged communities (`receivers') faces a variety of interactional barriers, some of which can be appreciated within the framework of the doctor-patient relations ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:53
- Could the system work better? Scale and local knowledge in humanitarian relief
This article analyses the international humanitarian response to the earthquake in Jogjakarta, Indonesia in May 2006. It also compares it with a small but very successful local initiative. It identifies inherent weaknesses in the international system, and ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- Churches, mosques, and condoms: understanding successful HIV and AIDS interventions by faith-based organisations
There are an estimated 33 million people living with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) worldwide. While national education campaigns have been successful in providing a broad platform of awareness of HIV and AIDS, within some countries faith-based ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-06-06 16:25
- Finding out rapidly: a soft systems approach to training needs analysis in Thailand
Thailand is experiencing the unfamiliar phenomenon of aid and multilateral agencies such as the World Bank and Asian Development Bank lending money for internal development programmes. In the economic boom years, aid was neither sought nor required since ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:59
- Collective Action and Urban Poverty Alleviation: Community Organizations and the Struggle for Shelter in Manila
Author: Shatkin, Gavin Publisher: Aldershot: Ashgate, 2007, ISBN: 978-0-7546-4 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:51
- Dynamics of remittance practices and development: Bangladeshi overseas migrants
Remittances from migrant workers play a significant role in keeping the economy of Bangladesh vibrant, adding around six per cent to the country's GDP and helping to maintain the balance of payments. This article examines remittance flows from Hong Kong ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-02-07 13:16
- Integrating participatory elements into conventional research projects: measuring the costs and benefits
Until recently, participatory and conventional approaches to agricultural research have been regarded as more or less antagonistic. This article presents evidence from three sub-projects of a Thai-Vietnamese-German collaborative research programme on 'Sus ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:00
- NGOs and multi-layered management of protected resources in Belize and Malaysia
Constrained largely by lack of resources – technical, financial, legal, and/or administrative – governments in developing countries often create multi-layered management structures to regulate and monitor protected resources. Such structures are created w ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:05
- Relationships, learning, and trust: lessons from the SNV–RECOFTC partnership
The term ‘partnership’ has become a catch-cry for development organisations aiming to mobilise the resources and collaboration needed to achieve long-term goals such as poverty reduction and sustainable resource management. Achieving effecti ...
Abstract - sally - 2009-11-13 17:33