Narrow down by keywords: Sub-Saharan Africa
- Connecting smallholders with dynamic markets: a market information service in Zambia
Commodity markets have changed significantly in the past two decades, with smallholders increasingly requiring robust market intelligence to understand and secure benefit from the new environment. This article explores the approach to, and lessons stemm ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-08-05 15:39
- Faith in forms: civil society evangelism and development in Tanzania
This paper examines the position and role of religious organisations within a wider range of civil society organisations (CSOs) in two districts in Tanzania. We argue that where development agendas are externally generated and civil society is driven by ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-07-12 13:46
- Private extension-service provision for smallholder horticultural producers in Kenya: an approach
An approach to establishing improved private extension-service provision for smallholder horticultural producers in Kenya was developed between 2003 and 2005 by the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology and Natural Resources Institute in ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-28 18:34
- Redefining the role of environmental NGOs in Africa
The article summarises issues identified in a study undertaken on behalf of the HIVOS Foundation of the Netherlands and the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs Development Division, which included a field study of 45 environmental NGOs in seven Africa ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-28 18:39
- African rural labour and the World Bank: and alternative perspective
In the context of economic and technological change in the late twentieth century, the World Bank's World Development Report 1995 combines the themes of labour and the global market, celebrating the triumph of the market in efficient labour allocation wor ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-28 18:38
- The development management task and reform of `public' social services
With its emphasis on target-setting and performance measures, the New Public Management appears to offer a coherent and `no-nonsense' approach to public sector reform and the public management task. This article suggests that three questions require furth ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-28 18:37
- Relief and rehabilitation work in Mozambique: institutional capacity and NGOs executional strategies
The nature of the Mozambique `emergency' and its institutional context pose a significant challenge to NGO aid strategies, as these organisations seek to reconcile objectives of short-term effectiveness and accountability with goals of long-term capacity- ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-28 18:49
- Participatory development interventions in Mozambique
This paper is based on the authors' analytical study of the experiences of participatory development interventions in Mozambique, which compared how different projects interpreted and applied the concept and identified the problems encountered and lessons ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-28 18:45
- Rebel voices and radio actors: in pursuit of dialogue and debate in northern Uganda
This paper seeks to understand the restrictions media actors face in their day-to-day work in Acholiland, northern Uganda, and identify the strategies they adopt to maintain a space for dialogue and debate. Two case studies reveal that it is difficult t ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-01 11:57
- The Land Question in Zimbabwe
Author: Moyo, Sam Issue: Volume 6, Number 4 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-17 13:15