Narrow down by keywords: Conflict and reconstruction
- World Vision Security Manual: Safety Awareness for Aid Workers
Author: Rogers, Charles S.; Sytsma, Brian (eds.) Publisher: Geneva ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:51
- Humanitarian Action in Times of War -- A Handbook for Practitioners
Author: Minear, Larry and Thomas Weiss Issue: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-09 13:35
- Gender and human security issues: building a programme of action-research
Since March 2000, in partnership with the Women's Centre of Montreal and other units at Montreal universities, McGill's Centre for Developing-Area Studies has carried out an action-research programme on gender and human security issues in the context of w ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:44
- `Dancing with the prince': NGOs' survival strategies in the Afghan conflict
Afghan NGOs have been a major provider of humanitarian aid throughout the Afghan conflict. They remained operational during this period by `dancing' with and between the various parties to the conflict, their survival contingent on their ability to build ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:56
- NGOs and the economic recovery of Afghanistan
In the absence of a cohesive and controlling government in Afghanistan, NGOs have taken over much of the work in the economic and social arena, becoming, by proxy, the makers of policy and directors of practice. However the unpredictable yet growing power ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- Intimate Enemies: Landowners, Power, and Violence in Chiapas
Author: Bobrow-Strain, Aaron Publisher: Durham, NC and London: Duke Universit ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-05 18:49
- Engendering Forced Migration: Theory and Practice
Author: Indra, Doreen Issue: Volume 9, Number ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-07 13:32
- Working effectively with non-state actors to deliver education in fragile states
This viewpoint uses evaluation reports from Nepal, Afghanistan, and Yemen in order to learn lessons about how donors and governments can work more effectively with non-state actors to deliver education in fragile states. The evaluation framework draws o ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2010-06-23 15:59
- Sustainability and peace building: a key challenge
The overarching challenge facing the growing number of international peace-building interventions is to achieve sustainable peace. This paper illustrates this proposition through a brief investigation of the situation in East Timor as the UN mission withd ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:52
- Transition in El Salvador: a multi-layered process (Paper from Symposium)
This paper reflects on the obstacles facing Salvadorean NGOs in the transition from war to peace. Firstly, on the difficulties inherent in the peace process itself: insufficient structural change; the trap of electoral politics; a transition process that ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:58