Narrow down by keywords: Conflict and reconstruction
- NGOs, civil society and the State: building democracy in transitional countries
40 participants from 24 countries took part in this workshop, organised by the International NGO Training and Research Centre (INTRAC) in Oxford, UK. Much of the workshop was spent trying to reach agreement on what civil society means, and the degree to w ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:56
- A situational assessment study of acid violence in Bangladesh
This secondary source study was conducted on behalf of UNICEF in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, to establish what information was available about acid violence with a view to informing potential interventions to prevent attacks. The study showed that y ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- Review of Humanitarian Diplomacy: Practitioners and Their Craft
Author: Minear, Larry and Hazel Smith (eds.) Publisher: Tokyo, United Nations ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-09 13:34
- Rising from the Ashes: Development Strategies in Times of Disaster
Author: Anderson, Mary B. and Peter J. Woodrow Issue: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 09:11
- Non-state providers, the state, and health in post-conflict fragile states
Relations between states and non-state providers in fragile states occur within specific complex political and economic contexts. Moreover, donor approaches to specific fragile states shape the flow and priorities of aid resources. In the health sector, ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2010-06-23 16:12
- Post-war aid: patterns and purposes
A recent report by the World Bank reiterates the widely-held view that donor agencies commit large amounts of funding in the immediate post-conflict phase, only for this to taper off to more `normal' levels once the crisis is over. The World Bank criticis ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:52
- The humanitarian responsibilities of the United Nations Security Council: ensuring the security of the people
The United Nations Charter confers on the Security Council prime responsibility for maintaining international peace and security. Yet these very concepts are undergoing radical change. More than the absence of war, peace has come to mean harmony both with ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:58
- Women and conflict transformation: influences, roles, and experiences
At first glance it would appear that despite women's vital participation in peace-making processes, they are for the most part marginalised or belittled. However, moving away from the idea of women as outsiders and/or victims, we find evidence of their in ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:10
- The Price of Indifference: Refugees and Humanitarian Action in the New Century
Author: Helton, Arthur C. Publisher: Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002, IS ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:49
- In the Mountains of Morazan: Portrait of a Returned Refugee Community in El Salvador
Author: Macdonald, Mandy and Mike Gatehouse Issue: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-08 09:17