Narrow down by keywords: Environment
- The State of India's Environment: A Citizens' Report, No. 3: Floods, Flood Plains and Environmental Myths
Author: Agarwal, Anil and Sunita Narain Issue: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-07 13:43
- Collective action and promotion of forest based associations on non-wood forest products in Cameroon
This paper documents collective actions undertaken by forest-based associations to access better prices for their non-wood forest products via group sales. Group sales can increase the income of group sellers by up to 40 per cent compared to individual ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-11-27 12:52
- Beyond PRA: experiments in facilitating local action in water management
As a tool both for research and for structuring community- level interaction, PRA is now well embedded in development practice. This paper, however, argues that in order to play an enabling role towards community action, facilitators need to offer much mo ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:51
- Aquaculture in Vietnam: perspectives and development
Thanks to the range of natural resources and the wealth of human capital, Vietnam is well placed to develop its aquaculture sector. Although it is one of the world’s largest producers of seafoods, Vietnam faces environmental and food security problems, an ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:02
- Svalbard Global Seed Vault: a ‘Noah’s Ark’ for the world’s seeds
News about Norway’s plans to establish a ‘doomsday vault’ for seeds in the permafrost of the Artic archipelago of Svalbard as a back-up for conventional gene banks reached the world press in 2006. The idea of a Global Seed Vault, which today is considered ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- At Risk: Natural Hazards, People's Vulnerability, and Disasters
Author: Blakie, Piers, Terry Cannon, Ian Davis, and Ben Wisner Issue: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 09:14
- Rethinking monitoring in a complex messy partnership in Brazil
Since 1996, CTA-ZM, a local Brazilian NGO, has been developing better ways to understand its work on pro-poor institutional transformation in Minas Gerais. It operates within a ‘messy partnership’ which includes farmer trade unions, associat ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2010-11-09 12:55
- Learning from innovation: implications of an integrated development project in Chiapas, Mexico
This is a case study of an integral local development project combining elements of agro-ecology, fair trade and risk-conservative finance operated in partnership between a grassroots and promoter organization. We conclude that insurance is a key elemen ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:53
- Urban sustainability under threat: the restructuring of the fishing industry in Mar del Plata, Argentina
As a result of the internal and external reforms introduced in the last two decades in Argentina, as in most Latin American countries, urban-based manufacturing activities have experienced a dramatic process of restructuring, which has prompted new social ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07
- Aid and Sustainable Development in Africa
Author: Amanor, Kojo Sebastian and Sam Moyo (eds.) Publisher: London:Zed Books ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-17 12:40