Narrow down by keywords: Environment
- Struggle for sustainable human and environmental well-being on the Mexican coast of Oaxaca
In May 2000 a group from Ashoka, a US-based charitable foundation that gives grants to 'social entrepreneurs', or innovators for the common good, visited a number of projects for sustainable development on the coast of Oaxaca in southern Mexico. The autho ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- Cultivating Knowledge: Genetic Diversity, Farmer Experimentation and Crop Research
Author: de Boef, Walter, Kojo Amandor, and Kate Wellard with Anthony Bebbington ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-09 13:46
- Critical evaluation of planning frameworks for rural water and sanitation development projects
Poor initial planning processes have been implicated in the high failure rate of rural water and sanitation development projects. This article critically examines 17 existing planning frameworks for rural water supply and sanitation projects with respec ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-06-22 16:04
- World Heritage and Public Works: Development Cooperation for Poverty Alleviation’, 29 August 2008, United Nations University, Tokyo
On 29 August 2008, UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee (WHC) and the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) co-organised a one-day seminar entitled ‘World Heritage and Public Works: Development Cooperation for Poverty Alleviation&rsqu ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:54
- Learning from informal markets: innovative approaches to land and housing provision
Full-text sample article FREE from Taylor & Francis. Sub-standard and insecure housing conditions are recognised as a crucial aspect of urban poverty. In most large cities in the developing world, the formal market serves only a minority of the populat ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07
- City Futures: Confronting the Crisis of Urban Development
Author: Pieterse, Peter Publisher: London: Zed Books, 2008, ISBN: 1 84277 541 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-07 13:40
- Keepers Of The Forest: Land Management Alternatives In Southeast Asia
Author: Poffenberger, Mark (ed.) Issue: Volum ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-07 13:37
- Digital technology uses for sustainable management of natural resources in multicultural contexts
This article questions the notion that the use of digital technologies guarantees better policy development for the sustainable management of natural resources, particularly in multicultural contexts. It is argued that input of digital technologies coul ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-08-16 11:42
- Officialising strategies: participatory processes and gender in Thailand's water resources sector
This paper examines participatory processes in an Asian Development Bank (ADB) technical assistance package in Thailand's water resources sector. The authors analyse various levels of social interaction in the local community, in meso-level stakeholder co ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:00
- Public policies and community practices
The Habitat International Coalition conducted research in 22 countries in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Asia, investigating public policy in housing and services since the 1950s. The findings are summarised here. Rural and urban development ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:57