Narrow down by keywords: Environment
- No more adoption rates! Looking for empowerment in agricultural development programmes
The debate on empowerment encompasses an older discourse about the intrinsic value of empowerment, and a newer discourse about the instrumental benefits of empowerment; the concept of agency is useful in understanding this distinction. In agricultural dev ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:00
- Agrarian reform: a continuing imperative or an anachronism?
Agrarian reform or land reform has virtually disappeared from the international development agenda since the 1980s. However, many people's organisations (POs) and NGOs in Third World countries are attempting to restore it as a development priority and pol ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:56
- Sustainable development and democracy in the megacities
Using Lima as an example, the author analyses the meaning of sustainable development and how grassroots community-based organisations can contribute to its achievement in megacities. Demands are today made of cities and countries of the South to develop i ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07
- Analytical Issues in Participatory Natural Resource Management
Author: Vira, Bhaskar and Roger Jeffery (eds.) Publisher: London: Earthscan, 2 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:50
- Defending the Future: A Guide to Sustainable Development
Author: Holmberg, John, Stephen Bass, and Lloyd Timberlake Issue: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-10 09:26
- Cost effectiveness of seed fairs relative to direct relief distribution in Zimbabwe
Seed fairs were being promoted in Zimbabwe as an alternative seed distribution approach to sustain local input markets. Using data from ICRISAT monitoring surveys of 2005–06 and records maintained by non-governmental organisations, this article re ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-08-16 10:16
- Does fair trade make a difference? The case of small coffee producers in Nicaragua
Fair trade represents an innovative approach to make the rules of global trade work for disadvantaged producers in the South and for sustainable development. But who are the real beneficiaries of fair trade? Has fair trade resulted in any discernible impr ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:50
- Hurricane Mitch and human rights
When Hurricane Mitch hit South America in November 1998, it most harshly affected Honduras and Nicaragua, and most of those affected were already living in extreme poverty. The author highlights the connection between the extent of the damage from this `n ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:01
- The Landcare experience in the Philippines: Technical and institutional innovations for conservation farming
Sustainable land use is critical for the development of the Philippines uplands, where about 18 million people live. This paper relates our experiences using a participatory approach to develop agroforestry practices and institutions for conservation farm ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- The Legality of Land Reform in Zimbabwe: An Inquiry into the Land Acquisition Act (1992) combined with A Case Study Analysis of the Resettlement Programme
Author: Maposa, Isaac Issue: Volume 6, Numbe ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-10 08:48