Narrow down by keywords: Environment
- A conference on social dynamics of deforestation in developing countries
A brief report of a conference held in Kenya in July 1991 bringing together specialists from a UNRISD research programme examining the national and regional implications of deforestation for the livelihood and living conditions of the poor in rural and ur ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:53
- NGOs and multi-layered management of protected resources in Belize and Malaysia
Constrained largely by lack of resources – technical, financial, legal, and/or administrative – governments in developing countries often create multi-layered management structures to regulate and monitor protected resources. Such structures are created w ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:05
- Gender in Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction Congress, Manila, 19–22 October 2008
The Gender in Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction Congress held in Manila 19–22 October 2008) was the Third Global Congress of Women in Politics and Governance. Its purpose was to provide a forum for decision makers to formulate gender-resp ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-29 10:28
- Sustainable Mountain Agriculture: Vol. 2: Farmer’s Strategies and Innovative Approaches
Author: Jodha, N. S., M. Banskota, and T. Partap Issue: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:28
- Connecting smallholders with dynamic markets: a market information service in Zambia
Commodity markets have changed significantly in the past two decades, with smallholders increasingly requiring robust market intelligence to understand and secure benefit from the new environment. This article explores the approach to, and lessons stemm ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-08-05 15:39
- Women in water management: the need for local planning
The paper notes that in India, even when a village or household level survey is carried out for water-resource development, the usual standards of data collection are applied, and women's central importance in water use is thus not reflected. However, wom ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:55
- Technical versus popular language: some reflections on the vocabulary of urban management in Mexico and Brazil
Despite improvements in access to urban land and services since the 1980s, in both Brazil and Mexico, the consolidation of peripheral urban settlements has accentuated social segregation. Such trends highlight the continuing existence of poverty on a glob ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07
- Water Rights and Empowerment
Author: Boelens, Rutgerd and Paul Hoogendam (eds.) Publisher: Assen: Van Gorcu ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:49
- Climate Change and World Agriculture
Author: Perry, Martin Issue: Volume 2, Number ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-08 09:23
- Practical innovations for strengthening Community-Led Total Sanitation: selected experience from Asia
While Community-Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) is a relative success in a growing number of countries, there are also difficulties in assuring all community members can build and use toilets. This paper draws on experiences of IRC International Water and S ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-05-14 17:03