Narrow down by keywords: Gender and diversity
- Officialising strategies: participatory processes and gender in Thailand's water resources sector
This paper examines participatory processes in an Asian Development Bank (ADB) technical assistance package in Thailand's water resources sector. The authors analyse various levels of social interaction in the local community, in meso-level stakeholder co ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:00
- Transformative learning and mind-change in rural Afghanistan
This article presents results of a quantitative/qualitative enquiry into ‘transformative learning’ and ‘mind-change’ dynamics among rural community representatives participating in the Government of Afghanistan’s National S ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:53
- The World Bank derogates women's rights: outcomes from Beijing
The World Bank claims to have become the defender of women's rights, urging national governments to 'invest more in women in order to reduce gender inequality and boost economic development'. Through its Women in Development Programme (WID), adopted throu ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:56
- Hazards, globalisation, and sustainability
The authors report on this workshop, held at the Flood Hazard Research Centre at Middlesex University, which brought together participants experienced in each of these three fields to share their knowledge and enrich each other's understanding. There was ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:01
- Spirituality: a development taboo
Spirituality is central to many of the daily decisions people in the 'South' make about their own and their community' s development, including that of whether or not to participate in risky but potentially beneficial social action. Despite its importance ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:05
- Community development: Freire and Grameen in the Barrowfield Project, Glasgow, Scotland
This article is an attempt to examine one of the better-known failures in UK community development – the Barrowfield Project in Glasgow (1986–1996) – and to compare and contrast it with other attempts at community development, especially some associated w ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:07
- Women's involvement in small-scale aquaculture in Northeast Thailand
In Northeast Thailand, women are heavily involved in small-scale aquaculture. However, as aquaculture becomes more intensive, women are in charge of less. Women's decision-making power in aquaculture and in the household is stronger when women have greate ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:10
- Inclusive Citizenship: Meanings and Expressions
Author: Kabeer, Naila (ed.) Publisher: New Delhi/London: Zubaan/Zed Books, 20 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:48
- Gender, Education and Development: Beyond Access to Empowerment
Author: Heward,Christine and Sheila Bunwaree Issue: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-07 16:52
- Women and Empowerment: Participation and Decision Making
Author: Karl, Marilee Issue: Volume 5, Number ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:24