Narrow down by keywords: Rights
- Trade unions, NGOs, and corporate codes of conduct
The proliferation of corporate codes of conduct generates both alliance and tension between trade unions and NGOs that deal with workers' rights in the global economy. Alliance, because trade unions and NGOs share a common desire to halt abusive behaviour ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:11
- Environmental Justice In Latin America - Problems, Promise and Practice
Author: Carruthers, David V. (ed.) Publisher: Cambridge, MA/London, UK: The MI ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-07 13:23
- The Illusion of Progress: Unsustainable Development in International Law and Policy
Author: Gillespie, Alexander Publisher: London: Earthscan, 2001, ISBN: 1 8538 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:50
- Implementation Handbook for the Convention on the Rights of the Child
Author: Hodgkin, Rachel and Peter Newell for UNICEF Issue: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-17 13:05
- We Are The Original People: The Story of a Development Project in an Adivasi (Tribal) Village in South Gujarat, India
Author: Clarke, Marieke Issue: Volume 3, Num ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-17 12:44
- More practical lessons from five projects on disability-inclusive development
The present article follows on from the practical note in Development in Practice 20(7): 879–886 that looked at seven common early lessons learnt from the inclusion of disabled people in World Vision programming work across four countries, based o ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2012-06-08 13:07
- Rights-based approaches to development: what is the value-added?
Advocates and activists for human rights are currently facing a paradox: the coexistence of profound challenges in familiar territory (civil liberties) alongside expansion into new areas. Rights-based approaches (RBAs) are a part of this latter expansiona ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:43
- The ethics of immigration controls: issues for development NGOs
It can be argued that immigration restrictions constitute a form of 'global apartheid', ensuring that poorer sections of world society are prevented, by legal and physical force, from sharing in the world's sum of riches. This article seeks to develop thi ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:54
- Electronic information: promise and peril
With reference to a recent visit to Dhaka, Bangladesh, the author gives his personal view on the spread of IT technology that accompanies globalisation. He comments particularly on the communication potential of the Internet and email, and the tendency of ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:01
- Violence, fear, and development in Latin America: a critical overview
This introduction presents the core concepts that shape this special issue on the impact of violence and the processes of development in Central and South America. The understanding of development is considered in terms broader than the economic context a ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:06