Narrow down by keywords: Conflict and reconstruction
- NGOs and the economic recovery of Afghanistan
In the absence of a cohesive and controlling government in Afghanistan, NGOs have taken over much of the work in the economic and social arena, becoming, by proxy, the makers of policy and directors of practice. However the unpredictable yet growing power ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:08
- Intimate Enemies: Landowners, Power, and Violence in Chiapas
Author: Bobrow-Strain, Aaron Publisher: Durham, NC and London: Duke Universit ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-05 18:49
- Engendering Forced Migration: Theory and Practice
Author: Indra, Doreen Issue: Volume 9, Number ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-07 13:32
- Working effectively with non-state actors to deliver education in fragile states
This viewpoint uses evaluation reports from Nepal, Afghanistan, and Yemen in order to learn lessons about how donors and governments can work more effectively with non-state actors to deliver education in fragile states. The evaluation framework draws o ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2010-06-23 15:59
- Sustainability and peace building: a key challenge
The overarching challenge facing the growing number of international peace-building interventions is to achieve sustainable peace. This paper illustrates this proposition through a brief investigation of the situation in East Timor as the UN mission withd ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:52
- Transition in El Salvador: a multi-layered process (Paper from Symposium)
This paper reflects on the obstacles facing Salvadorean NGOs in the transition from war to peace. Firstly, on the difficulties inherent in the peace process itself: insufficient structural change; the trap of electoral politics; a transition process that ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:58
- Palestinian women, violence, and the peace process
Much has been written about the contribution of Palestinian women to their nation's liberation struggle. They have not only survived in an atmosphere of remorseless violence, but have also made remarkable strides in terms of their rights and development a ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:10
- Beyond Retribution: Seeking Justice in the Shadows of War
Author: Mani, Rama Publisher: Cambridge: Polity Press, 2002, ISBN: 0 7456 2836 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:49
- Utopia Disarmed: the Latin American Left After the Cold War
Author: Castaneda, Jorge Issue: Volume 5, Num ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-10 09:10
- Training ethnic workers in mental health work
This paper develops issues raised in Hans Buwalda's article `Children of war in the Philippines'. It examines issues in training ethnic workers in areas of recent or on-going armed conflict, in mental health work. It explores the possibilities of combinin ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:54