Narrow down by keywords: Conflict and reconstruction
- Understanding and responding to the links between conflict and hunger
Rising food prices in the late 2000s sparked protests, sometimes violent, around the globe. These public expressions of outrage were only the tip of the iceberg. Many countries have a legacy of food wars. In sub-Saharan Africa, at least 14 countries fac ...
Abstract - dwardle - 2011-08-15 15:52
- Memory, suffering, survival tactics, and healing among Jopadhola women in post-war Uganda
This ethnographic case study addresses the question of how women in Jopadhola patriarchal society in Eastern Uganda remember three decades of civil war and violence and survived its aftermath. When the war ended, little changed for these women, who are ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-10-28 18:34
- Guatemala: uncovering the past, recovering the future
The author gives a personal view of her experiences in Guatemala in 1995, when she met with human-rights workers coping with the aftermath, and ongoing trauma, of the 36-year war. She describes the fear and disruption brought about by so many years of mil ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:58
- Development, Women and War: Feminist Perspectives
Edited by: Eade, Deborah Edited by: Afshar, Haleh ...
Book - admin - 2009-12-21 16:30
- Global Governance and the New Wars
Author: Duffield, Mark Publisher: London and New York: ZED Books, 2001, ISBN: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:50
- Forced Migration: Policy Issues in the Post-Cold War World
Author: Rogers, Rosemarie and Emily Copeland Issue: ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:41
- Who really protects civilians?
One could be forgiven for concluding from the current debate that the ‘protection of civilians’ is something ‘done to’ the passive recipients of international largesse. Whether the macro-level interventions of the UN Security Council or micro-level attemp ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 17:55
- The discordant voices of 'security'
This article examines the links between development and ‘security’, situating these concepts within their philosophical and political contexts, particularly in relation to contemporary wars, including the ‘war on terror’, and the so-called ‘securitisation ...
Abstract - admin - 2009-09-30 18:06
- Terrorism: The Present Threat in Context
Author: Sloan, Stephen Publisher: Oxford: Berg, 2006, ISBN: 184520-344-5, 140 ...
Book review - admin - 2009-12-22 08:49
- World Disasters Report 2000: Focus on Public Health
Author: Walker, Peter and Walter, Jonathan (Eds.) Publisher: Geneva: Internati ...
Book review - admin - 2009-10-18 20:52